Tuesday, January 7, 2014

the walk of shame.

today at my usual weekly pain clinic appointment (it'll take a whole separate post to explain that) i, erin engler, was subject to a drug test. oh yes.
when i entered the doctor's office i was handed one of those sterile urine specimen cups in a brown paper bag and given very clear instructions how to use said container. i'm pretty sure my face turned every shade of red in the colour spectrum.
at that precise moment, everyone in the waiting room became very interested in what was going on and watched as i did the walk of shame down the hall to the washroom.

having urinalysis tests done are second nature to my bi-annual blood work, blindly searching for a hint as to what is wrong with me. i'm not embarrassed by routine tests, at this point i've been poked and prodded so much it takes a lot to make me uncomfortable. but being asked to tinkle in a cup for a 'routine' drug test is up there in the realm of 'oh no you di'int!'

i'm choosing to believe it was routine, that the size of my pupils aren't an indicator of secretly consuming illicit substances to numb my pain.

with my luck, there will be a false-positive...

No comments:

Post a Comment